Sunday, April 23, 2006

Ask Yourself This...

When Was the Last Time You Did Something for the First Time?
 
I was in Bariloche, Argentina when I saw these words on a poster while eating at Hostel 41 Below.  It is such a simple question with a very thought provoking idea behind it.  To me the idea is about continuous improvement.  It's about learning new things, taking a chance, and seeing what happens.  Whether they go right or wrong is sometimes important, but it is a learning opportunity.  Questions like this motivated me to create another list in my journal detailing some of the things that have occurred on my trip that were newbies for me. 
 
In this life I think that people get way too bogged down with the everyday monotonous details, become apathetic, and forget about what is important when they take the eye off the prize.  What is important to me is The Fam, learning, and always trying something new.  So, while eating my yogurt and cereal I began to think and started right there to keep a little list of the firsts
 
Here are a few...
During this trip some of the things that I have done for the first time include...
  • Just buying a ticket and going. 
  • Getting there, with very little and being content with one space for a while. 
  • Left the house for an extended period of time
  • Learned how to create some delicious Mexican food without a cookbook
  • Became pretty flexible with my time.  It was my money and I was like "im doin what i want"
  • Seen extreme poverty
  • Seen a South American soccer match.  They were all special!
  • I have not had turkey on thanksgiving
  • been proud to speak Spanish and not be self-conscious about it
More to come because im becoming tired. 
But just ask yourself the above question  sometime.
 
When Was the Last Time You Did Something for the First Time?

No comments: